Thursday, September 18, 2008

What house?????

Well since most of you are asking how the new house is, I thought I would give a little update!

Moving went well for the most part. There was little fighting between Mike and I so that was good. We had a lot of help. Thanks to brothers,sister, parents and Chandra and Darryl we got all moved in!!! It was a long day of telling people what goes where, Mike yelling at me because the treadmill wouldn't fit upstairs, and just exhaustion of moving in general. While moving in Chandra had noticed there was a little bit of water in the basement. We put a call into Brandl homes and they told us to put in order in on our toolbox. Then later that day when I went to go make Noah a bottle, I noticed our sink in the kitchen was leaking. I told Mike and he looked under the sink and noticed standing water. So once again we put a call into Brandl homes and they were going to put an emergency call into a plumber and one would be out in 24 hours. So now it is about 7 at night and Mike and I were starving so we and his parents went to grab something to eat. When we got home it was late, we put the kids to bed and we went to bed ourselves.

Now this night I was a very light sleeper because I did not have a monitor for the kids. Noah woke up that night at 3:30. I checked on Caeden before I went back to bed. At about 6:50 I heard Caeden calling for us. I was going to go get him and bring him in the room with us as it was way too early for us to be up. When I was down at his room it sounded like it was raining in the house. I was thinking, I bet Mike didn't shut the window and now it is raining in the house.

When I went downstairs, our HELL began. A pipe in the first floor bathroom had burst and we had about ankle deep water everywhere. I SCREAMED for Mike. He still half asleep came flying down the stairs, fell (doesn't remember this)and discovered our mess. He had me hold onto the pipe so he could go shut off the water.

When he went downstairs he discovered Hell 2. It too had been flooded and there was ankle deep water in the basement. It was so bad that Caeden asked us "Is it raining in here dad?"

Mike's dad and my sister came down. I don't think they realized the magnitude of the problem until they got there. Caeden kept slipping on the wet floor and telling us his feet were cold. Poor little guy. We tired getting the shop vac to suck most of the water up, but there was too much.

Now about this time we had finally got a hold of someone (10:00 am) and service master was going to be coming to the house. We were told the owner of the company was going to be coming out (he has to get back from his cabin) and the plumber. So I took the kids to my mom's house and had to go over to the old place to get the rest of the stuff!

When I got back the plumber, Service Master and my friend Kristy was there. Again, I don't think people realized how bad it was (don't get me wrong, I know it could of been a lot worse, but to us, this was bad. We hadn't even been in the house for 24 hours!!!!!)

I had to find a place for us to stay because obviously, this house was not livable!!! I just couldn't believe this was happening to us. We had spent the last 3 1/2 months preparing for this move and were all excited about it!!!

The one good thing that has come out of this is that there wasn't a lot of things in the basement. I remember telling Mike that why didn't he have people put more stuff down in the basement. Now I know why. Here is just a list of some of the things that were in the basement:

*Caeden's top bunk bed (frame and mattress)
*my Christmas village (some pieces are retired)
*Mike boxes of trophies, baseball, football cards
*yearbooks
*photo albums
*Caeden's toys (he had two motorized bikes, ruined)
*bedding
*bathroom rugs
*Caeden's old clothes
*Noah and Caeden's winter jackets

just to name a few

Now the upstairs is a different story. My couch, chair, kitchen table, tv, more toys, diaper bag, comforter and sheets, blankets, ceiling fans. Again to name a few.

So right now we are waiting for the plumbers insurance to contact us to meet with us to go over the damage. How do you put a price tag on irreplaceable things. Good thing my wedding pic's and the kids pic's weren't not ruined!

Right now most of the house is gutted and is waiting to be dried. They told us we would be out for 3 weeks, I am planning on more. We are living in a hotel, (only fun when you are on vacation).

Like I said, I know things could be worse, but I feel like I just need to wake up from this nightmare!!

We wonder if this all could of been prevented if they would of sent the plumber out to begin with????????????

Stay tuned for pictures. I need to find the cable to upload pic's!

Thanks for all the support we have received. We would not be able to make it through this without your love and support!

3 comments:

Pace Family said...

Wow - I am so sorry to hear this! Good luck...let me know if you'd like to get out some day and meet up, or if you need anything!!

april_sickler said...

So sorry to hear about this Alicia -let me know if I can do anything.

Missy... said...

Oh, Alicia! I'm soooo sorry! Chandra told me about the mess. We're praying for you guys. Hang in there!